Haiti - Education : Matthew prevents more than 100,000 children to return to school - HaitiLibre.com : Haiti news 7/7
 2026-2027 Electoral Calendar, latest official version





Recruitment of court clerks : The CSC/CA completes the first phase of evaluations

CFU Challenge Series : The Grenadiers' technical team is 100% Haitian

Major distribution of agricultural inputs in Kenscoff, Haiti

Competition : NOTICE to singers and composers of Haiti

Economy : Agreement signed between Haiti and the Andean Development Corporation


more news


Back to school : 2.1 billion in monetary aid for 140,000 parents

Haiti - Security : Training of 15,000 FAd’H soldiers...

Haiti - CFU Challenge 2026 (U-14) : The Grenadiers lose 1-0 against the Huracáns Azul of Puerto Rico (video)

Haiti - Leisure : Did you know ? #51

Haiti - News : Zapping...


more news


Haiti - Education : Matthew prevents more than 100,000 children to return to school
12/10/2016 10:49:20

Haiti - Education : Matthew prevents more than 100,000 children to return to school

Although Jean Beauvois Dorsonne, the Minister of National Education has confirmed the resumption of school activities for Monday, October 10, 2016, across the country less than a week after the passage of Hurricane Matthew https://www.haitilibre.com/en/news-18877-haiti-flash-reopening-of-schools-monday.html , more than 100,000 children have been unable to resume the class because their schools had been damaged or destroyed or converted into temporary shelter.

"At least 100,000 children today will not experience the joy, safety and stimulation that being in a classroom brings," said Tuesday UNICEF’s Deputy Representative in Haiti, Jean Metenier "We need to get them back to learning as soon as possible. Hurricane Matthew took away their schools, homes and textbooks. It shouldn’t take away their sense of hope," he added.

According to preliminary national estimates, at least 300 public schools have been partially or entirely damaged in the country and many others are being used to shelter displaced families. Schools in Sud and Grande Anse departments will remain closed for at least another week.

UNICEF said it was working with its partners to help set up temporary learning spaces and provide school supplies.

According to the UN agency, the priorities are: renovate damaged schools; provide students and teachers with school supplies, school furniture and appropriate teaching materials and provide children with psychosocial support.

HL/ HaitiLibre



Twitter Facebook Rss
Send news to... Daily news...




Why HaitiLibre ? | Contact us | Français
Copyright © 2010 - 2026
Haitilibre.com